What Kind Of Earrings Are Good For Sensitive Ears?\nLots of people have sensitive ears, and wearing the wrong type of earrings can lead to burning, itching, scabbing, and even more serious allergic reactions. Fortunately, there are earrings that have less of a chance of reacting badly with your skin, ensuring that you can have pretty ears without having to endure unnecessary pain or discomfort.\nBest materials for earrings for sensitive ears\nSome materials are far less likely to cause a reaction, even if your skin is very sensitive. These include platinum, palladium, titanium, stainless steel, zamak, 14ct gold to 22ct gold (lower carats are best avoided), and 925 sterling silver. These could include our Mushroom Sterling Silver Post Earrings.\n\nIf you go for gold earrings, choose higher carats as gold alloys can contain nickel or zinc, which can both cause allergic reactions in some people. Some stainless steel can also cause a reaction, so it is advisable to go for SSS or Surgical Stainless Steel earrings if this is likely to be an issue or if you have already experienced a reaction in the past.\nMaterials to avoid if you have sensitive ears\nJust as some metals and materials are better for sensitive ears, there are others that have a higher-than-average percentage of causing problems. The main cause of issue is nickel as a high proportion of people are intolerant to this. Nickel is found in all sorts of metal jewelry items and can lead to redness, soreness, dryness, skin discoloration, itchiness, and pain. This discomfort can start while you’re wearing affected earrings or shortly after you take them out.\n\nIf you do have sensitive ears but fall in love with something like our Rhinestone Flower Earrings, just wear them for as long as you want to show off your pretty lobes and remember to cleanse your ears after you take them out. Of course, you know how allergic you are to certain materials, and it is important to be cautious if there is any indication at all that you might experience a rare but serious reaction to any type of jewelry.\nCobalt can also cause issues when it is contained in earrings, and both of these metals are found in lots of the alloys that are used in jewelry production. This is very common in costume jewelry, but nickel can also be found in gold and silver. Many people think that they have an allergy to gold or silver, but it is most likely that it is actually the nickel that they are allergic to.\nHypoallergenic earrings\nThere are earrings and other jewelry items designed to be hypoallergenic, and this means they are made from nickel-free materials. These items are far less likely to cause a reaction, especially if you have particularly sensitive skin.\nNickel allergy\n\nAn allergy to nickel is a common cause of what is known as contact dermatitis. This is the reaction that you might experience if you wear earrings that you’re allergic to. This type of allergy is often associated with jewelry such as earrings but is also found in other items, such as glasses frames, cell phones, zippers, and coins.\nSome people develop an allergy to nickel right away but others are exposed to it many times before developing a sensitivity. This might explain why you could always wear any kind of pretty earrings in the past but now suffer from reactions if nickel is an ingredient. Unfortunately, once you have developed an allergy to nickel, you will always have a sensitivity and should avoid it if you can.\nIf you are allergic, you may experience a reaction within hours of being exposed to nickel, but it can also occur days later. The resulting contact dermatitis can last for a couple of days or for as long as a month. In most cases, it is the skin that has been in contact with the nickel that will be affected, but it is possible to have reactions in other areas. Some symptoms of a nickel allergy include:\n-Bumps or a rash\n-Itching that can vary in severity\n-Changes in the color of your skin\n-Redness\n-Dry areas that can look like burns\n-Blisters in severe cases\nWhat causes a nickel allergy?\nNo one actually knows why nickel allergies develop, but it is believed that your immune system starts seeing it as a harmful substance. This causes your body to react in a similar way to the way in which it might respond to bacteria, viruses, and other toxic substances or materials.