"10FASHION" code for 10% Off | Buy one get 2nd 15% Off | Free Shipping on Orders Over $59.99

Trendy Fashion Styles

Main Navigation

What Are Hypoallergenic Earrings?

What Are Hypoallergenic Earrings?

What Are Hypoallergenic Earrings?

Hypoallergenic earrings are earrings that you are less likely to have an allergic reaction to. They are good for sensitive ears because they are less likely to make them red and sore. Unfortunately, there are no set standards that earrings need to meet to be considered hypoallergenic in America. A manufacturer can label any earrings as hypoallergenic, and your ears may still react to them. The material used to make earrings is the most important factor when it comes to choosing ones that won’t hurt sensitive ears.

Nickel

Most people who have sensitive ears are reacting to the nickel or cobalt in their earrings. These metals are often found in costume jewelry. It is best to steer clear of these materials if your ears are sensitive and look for earrings that state they are nickel-free on the label. That way, your ears are unlikely to react to them.

Titanium

Titanium

Titanium is a fantastic metal to wear if you have sensitive ears. It looks beautiful, and it is highly unlikely to cause a reaction. It is a durable and very comfortable material to wear and the best solution for sensitive ears, especially if you want to be able to wear your earrings all day long. Medical-grade titanium is the material that is often put inside the body. For example, if you have broken your arm badly and it needs to be pinned, the pins will be made of titanium as it doesn’t react to the human body. If it is a safe material to have inserted into your body, it stands to reason that it will also be absolutely fine to wear in your ears. These earrings may be more expensive than costume jewelry, but it is worth investing in some as they won’t cause you discomfort.

Plastic

Plastic

Medical-grade plastic is also a great material to wear in sensitive ears. There are some really wonderful designs around that use this material, and they won’t hurt your ears because plastic is nickel-free. Make sure that the post is plastic as well as the earrings, as this is the part that will go through your ear and is therefore the part that is most likely to cause a reaction. This is a great material for fun, funky jewelry, and they make the best type of earrings for kids to wear as it is durable and can be worn all day long without causing discomfort. It is worth bearing in mind that you do get what you pay for when it comes to plastic. Medical-grade plastic is the best type to wear, even though it is more expensive.

Gold And Silver

Gold And Silver

Gold and silver may seem like good materials to wear in your ears, but this is unlikely to be the case. These metals are very soft and therefore will need to be mixed with something else to strengthen them in order to use them as earrings. Usually, manufacturers use nickel for this purpose, which will not help your sensitive ears. Often, the earrings will be coated in silver or gold, but the underlying material is nickel. These earrings may feel fine to wear when they are new, but after you have worn them several times, the outer layer of the earrings can wear off, leaving exposed nickel underneath and causing your ears to become red and inflamed. There are ways of wearing gold and silver earrings if you know what you are looking for:

Gold - Opt for at least 14 karats as these will contain more gold and therefore less nickel.

White Gold - White gold has to be mixed to give it a distinctive color. Opt for gold that has been mixed with palladium rather than nickel if you want to make sure your ears won’t react to them.

Silver - Sterling silver has to contain at least 92.5% silver in order to get its hallmark in the US. However, the other 7.5% may be made up of nickel, so be sure to check before you buy.

935 Sterling silver - This is a purer type of silver that needs to contain 93.5% silver to obtain its hallmark. This means that it contains more silver and less nickel, so this material will be better for your sensitive ears.

Don’t despair if you have sensitive ears. Look for a material that won’t react with your ears, and you can wear some lovely jewelry all day long without your ears becoming red, inflamed, and uncomfortable.